Christmas Cookie Favorites

Good Day to You,
I want to share with you some family secrets.  Since I was a little girl, I remember my Grandma, Aunts and Mother, getting together before Christmas (usually starting in October) to make Christmas cookies.  They would usually make 2 different kinds of cookies each time they got together and then divide them up into cute Christmas tin cans.  Everyone would take their tins home and save for Christmas.  I remember opening the freezer and seeing lids that read, "Strawberries," "Nut Rolls," "Candy Canes," etc.  My mouth would water, waiting for the big day when we could open all the cans.  What a cherished memory this is for me and all my family.  So without further ado, here is the first of these cherished recipes.  I'll submit one per week until Christmas.  This one wins #1 every year.

Nut Rolls

1 1/3 c. sifted self-rising flour       
1 unbeaten egg
1/4 c.sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
1/4 c butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix flour, sugar, egg and butter with electric mixer.  Add almond and vanilla.  Divide this dough into 4 parts and wrap in wax paper. Chill overnight.

Filling
1 1/4 c. pecans (ground)
1/3 c. sugar
1/16 salt
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. water
1/16 tsp. maple flavoring

Mix ingredients thoroughly and then chill dough overnight.  Really easy.

The next day, take out one roll at a time (works better when cold).  Roll out dough on floured surface (very thin, about 1/8 - 1/4”).  Cut diamond shape (with small diamond shaped cookie cutter).  Place 1 tsp or less of nut filling in center of diamond.  Roll and place on cookie sheet.  Bake 7-10 minutes at 400 degrees


**Hint:  The biggest mistake I make with these is, I fill them too full with the nut mixture.  Try out a couple before you bake a whole cookie sheet to make sure you have the right amount and that you like the way they turn out.  Your pan is also a big deal.  You know how some baking pans cook too quickly, burning the bottom of your cookie before the rest is done.  Once again, baking just a couple at first will let you know how your pan does and if you need to adjust the temp of oven.

No comments: