True test of a gentleman! OK men, this one is for you. Can you pass the gentleman test? If your wife, your co-workers, your children were to be asked if you were someone they would consider to be a gentleman...would they say "Yes?" Does it matter? Statistics show that men who have more "gentleman" attributes get more respect from their peers, receive pay raises at a faster pace and overall report to have healthier and happier relationships. It matters. See how you do with the following questions...
- Do I open the doors for all ladies and my peers?
- Do I avoid ever speaking of offensive topics in the presence of ladies?
- Am I careful to never engage in any behavior that could be misconstrued as inappropriate?
- Do I always pay for the meals of those whom I invite to lunch or dinner?
- Do I dress in a way that shows I have respect for myself and others?
- Do I stand when a lady approaches or leaves my table?
- Do I only extend my hand to a lady once she extends her hand first during an introduction?
- Do I refrain from giving physical affection to ladies that I am in a casual relationship with, unless I have their permission?
- Do I help all ladies in my presence with their coats, umbrellas or any other item that they need assistance with?
- Do I refrain from ever borrowing money from a lady?
- Do I keep my Word, always returning items on time and always completing task when I have committed to completing them.
- Do I keep myself clean, always being mindful of my breath, body odor and overall hygiene?
- Am I comfortable with making and keeping eye contact in all my conversation?
- Am I confident, kind and honest?
- Do I have polite table manners? Do I use them at all times?
If you answered yes to most of these questions, then you my friend are a great example of a gentleman and I'm sure that you feel the benefits of being such in your life. If you could not answer "yes" to many of these questions, may I suggest you call me. We'll work on it :)